John Paul Barta, a 2000 graduate, was a football and baseball player for the Hornets. He was also a four-year starter on the baseball team. As a Senior, he was named the District’s Most Valuable Player, and he was a First-Team All-South Texas selection who also earned an all-state nod. Barta went to Wharton Junior College after graduating and enlisted in the Army in 2004. Barta was killed in Iraq in 2006. In addition to the John Paul Barta Memorial Scholarship, each year in June there is a high school home run derby held in his honor at Flour Bluff Baseball Field.
1. The Flour Bluff Athletic Booster Club will award up to Ten (10) $500.00 scholarships.
2. The emphasis of these scholarships is on the following criteria:
- Athletic Ability and Contribution to Flour Bluff Athletics
- Character and Class as Demonstrated through Flour Bluff Athletics
- Athletes that have been Honorable Representatives of Flour Bluff High School
3. Applicant must be in good academic standing (have a “C” average in high school – GPA will be verified by FBHS Counselors after the completed application has been returned).
4. Applicant must be of good character.
5. Applicant must be a Varsity Athlete at Flour Bluff High School and graduate from Flour Bluff this year.
6. Applicant must enter college or technical/vocational school in the summer/fall following graduation. (Proof of enrollment must be provided prior to receiving the scholarship.)
7. Applicant must submit a Recommendation from the Head Coach of every sport in which he/she participated.
8. Incomplete and/or incorrectly submitted applications will not be considered.
9. Applicant’s total financial commitment has not been met by other scholarships/grants at the time of application.
10. Application must be turned in to the FBHS Counselor’s Office by Monday, April 16, 2018.